[Tutor] What style do you call Python programming?

Sarma Tangirala tvssarma.omega9 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 16:36:50 CET 2011

On 9 December 2011 20:50, Dario Lopez-Kästen <cl2dlope at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 3:54 PM, Sarma Tangirala <tvssarma.omega9 at gmail.com
> > wrote:
>

>> On 9 December 2011 20:07, Cranky Frankie <cranky.frankie at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> I'm looking for a term to call the kind of Python programming that
>>>
>>> <...snip...>
>

>> The keyword you are looking for is 'programming paradigm' and python
>> implements several and not just any specific one such as structured. You
>> could call it a multi-paradigm programming language.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programming_paradigm
>>
>> <...snip..>
>
>> The point is its a scripted language. Most of what you want to do should
>> be about a line. Python is derived from the idea of scripted languages
>> wherein constructs like loops and functions were added for more control.
>> The main idea of programming in python is not essentially writing a
>> functions but rather like shell scripting, one line of syntax at a time.
>> Having functions, for example, gives you greater control or rather an
>> abstraction of control for clarity of thought.
>>

> I actually don't agree at all with your last statements. Since you quote
> Wikipedia, allow me to do the same:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Python_(programming_language)
> *
> *
>
>> *"Python supports multiple programming paradigms, primarily but not
>> limited to object-oriented, imperative and, to a lesser extent, functional
>> programming styles. It features a fully dynamic type system and
>> automatic memory management, similar to that of Scheme, Ruby, Perl,
>> and Tcl. Like other dynamic languages, Python is often used as a scripting
>> language, but is also used in a wide range of non-scripting contexts. Using
>> third-party tools, Python code can be packaged into standalone executable
>> programs. Python interpreters are available for many operating systems."*
>

> Keywords, IMHO are: imperative, object oriented, interpreted dynamic
> programming language. Scripting comes as a bonus of the fact that it is
> interpreted.
>
> My 0.02€

Where does it say that python was originally not designed to be scripted?
If thats the case then I agree my comment was completely incorrect. I read
somewhere that it was designed so. I don't get exactly where you disagree
with me as I wrote that part about scripting for the second paragraph.

With respect to the OP's question how does being imperative, OO or dynamic
determine "I'm looking for a term to call the kind of Python programming
that
Python is, in other words, programming with no branching, no GOTOs, no
statement labels and no line numbers."?

--
Sarma Tangirala,
Class of 2012,