[Tutor] What style do you call Python programming?

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sun Dec 11 04:33:43 CET 2011

Lie Ryan wrote:

> Although I've said such, the terms are not actually that clear cut. Most
> object-oriented languages also have a for-loop, while-loop, and
> if-conditional of a structured programming. And not all object-oriented
> languages have classes (e.g. javascript).

There is a lot of overlap in programming paradigms.

Javascript is an example of prototype-based object-oriented programming. Other
examples include Lua and Flash.

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PrototypeBasedProgramming
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prototype-based_programming

Class-based object-oriented programming and prototype-based ("classless")
object-oriented programming are both sub-types of OOP. There's no reason you
can't have both: Javascript has now introduced classes, and Python can support
prototypes:

http://lists.canonical.org/pipermail/kragen-hacks/2000-September/000264.html

--
Steven