[Tutor] A few Python Mysteries

Wayne Watson sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 21 20:56:20 CET 2011

Hi,

On 12/21/2011 10:18 AM, Walter Prins wrote:
> Hi Wayne,
>
> On 21 December 2011 15:15, Wayne Watson<sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net>  wrote:
>> Python is long gone from my system.
> I presume you mean Python **2.5** is long gone from your system (not
> Python in general), but in any case, this much has been well
> understood since several emails ago.
All but 2.7.2.

>> I only have Python 27.
> OK, that's also been clear since several emails ago and is not an
> issue (except that I have the impression that's not working properly
> either?)
>
>> Somewhere along the line, the uninstall of Python5 probably did not remove the Python5
>> from the PATH. I have no explanation as to why Python7 was not in the PATH.
> To clarify: Python on Windows does **not** put itself on the System
> PATH when installed.  Consequently the reason Python 2.7 is not on the
> PATH is in fact because no-one put it there (yet), since as I say,
So, PythonNN, where NN is the version, should never appear in PATH?
> Python itself would not have done it.  This also explains why
> C:\Python25 was not removed from the PATH when you uninstalled Python
> 2.5 -- Since Python's installation never put it there, it obviously
> wasn't going to remove it when it was uninstalled.  Instead, the
> implication is that something or somebody else put it there -- most
It's conceivable when I raised some of the questions a month of so ago,
someone suggested putting PythonNN on the path. I recall the PATH idea
surfaced back then.
> likely the application that *did* put it there is the **same**
> application that is now complaining about the fact that it can't find
> the Python 2.5 DLL when you boot up...
See my mis-copy 26.dll in my other post to you.

>>   I have no idea why some remnant of why Python6 is hanging around. I
>> uninstalled it long ago too.
> I presume by Python6 you mean Python 2.6.  Why do you think a remnant
> of this is hanging around?
True. 2.6, and not 6.  See previous comments about 26.dll.
I think I'm going to pass on the 2.5 comments below in light of the
26.dll typo.
> Anyway, re the bootup messages, I've already suggested what your
> options are, but in short:
> a) Find and remove the application that's trying to use Python 2.5
> b) Install Python 2.5 again, and hope that's enough to get the app
> that wants to use it running again.
>
> Re your other Python problems, I'd suggest doing the following:
> 1) Go into your Control Panel->"Programs and Features", and remove all
> copies of Python (if any.)
I'm leaving 2.7.2 there for now.
> 2) Go into your C:\ Drive, and delete any existing Python folders that
> may still exist:
> C:\Python25
> C:\Python26
C:\Python25 and 26 are long gone. I'm holding onto 27.

3) Redownload your Python installer (MSI file) of the version of your
choice (2.7?)  from the Python dowload site and re-install that with
default options.

Let's hold off on this in light of the 26.dll discover. It may have some bearing on the current state of 27.

  4) IDLE should then be present in your Start->All Programs menu under
"Python 2.7", and should be easily locatable also with the Start menu
quick search feature.

IDLE shows as normal when I right-click on py files. It just doesn't bring up IDLE.

  Note, at this point (after the initial installation), Python via the
command prompt won't be runnable from anywhere, since C:\Python27 will
not have been put on the system PATH yet.  A previous post in this
thread explains how to add it (and you should be familiar enough with
the system PATH by now to do this yourself anyway ;)  )

When the PythonNN point I made is answered, then I address the PATH again.

  Please try these suggestions and post back with specificity if you
have further problems.

HTH,

Walter
Tutor maillist  -  Tutor at python.org