[Tutor] A few Python Mysteries [Reset]

Wayne Watson sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 22 04:21:48 CET 2011

If you read on past a few paragraphs, there is some reason for hope that
2.7.2 is close to running. But first, the dll story.

As it turns out in the other part of this thread, the "Python25.dll" was
a typo on my part.  It's really Python26.dll.  Upon re-booting to make
sure of that I read the message fully, and discovered that it read:
C:\Program Files9x86)\Uniblue\DriverScanner\Python26.dll not installed.
What is Uniblue you ask? I installed a new version of the video program
Winamp back in early Nov, and it had some selections.  One of which was
to include Uniblue Driver Checker.  I thought I'd give it a try.

After the install completed, I thought I'd give it a  try. It goes
through all your drivers to find which ones are out of date. Surprise.
You can buy the latest ones through them. I uninstalled Uniblue, but as
it turns out, it was an incomplete uninstall.  I just spent the last
30-45 minutes trying to get it uninstalled. Finally, I sent an e-mail on
how to do it. I have no idea how it got entangled with Python 2.6. So
for the time being it's out of the picture.

As a question asked by others, is Python27 under ...\System32. It is
under C:\Python27.  Further, it is the 64-bit version associated with
Python.

In reading some of the other posts, I was unsure of whether Python27 is
put on the PATH or not by the install.  The question remains
unanswered.  I just left it there, as I re-installed 2.7.2 minutes ago.
Here's where matters stand.

The fact that when I right click on a py file, it begins with Open and
then Edit with IDLE is very encouraging.  The downside is that IDLE does
not come up.  However, the Start menu's Python27 entry shows Edit with
IDLE, Manuals, ..., and Python Console.  The console works. The fact
that IDLE actually appears in both places is again encouraging.

Under ...\Python27\Lib\idlelib, I can find idle.py, idle.pyw and
IdleHistory.py.  Clicking on idle.pyw does nothing.

A few months ago when I broached this install and IDLE problem, someone
mentioned idle.bat. It is in the same  idlelib. Is there something that
needs to be done here, to get IDLE active?  Is this where having
Python27 in the path causes a problem with IDLE?

                      CE 1955 October 20 07:53:32.6 UT
                     -- "The Date" The mystery unfolds.

                     Web Page:<www.speckledwithstars.net/>