[Tutor] Wading through traceback output :p:

Lie Ryan lie.1296 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 14:15:51 CET 2011

On 12/26/2011 11:52 PM, Thomas C. Hicks wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 07:10:45 -0500
> Alan Gauld<alan.gauld at btinternet.com>  wrote:
>
>> On 26/12/11 11:42, Thomas C. Hicks wrote:
>>
>> Given it was working before and not now the obvious question is what
>> has changed? It looks like you are on a Linux box so do you have
>> automatic updates switched on? Or do you always just accept the
>> recommendation to update?
>>
>> In which case try looking at the modification dates of the
>> library files....
>>
>> Also has the verion of Excel used to create the files changed?
>>
>> It looks like the point that the program leaves your code is here:
>>
>>>     File "./cttOverviewMain.0.03.2011.py", line 183, in
>>> writeMonthlyHeader sh.write(7,10,"# Locations",xlwt.easyxf('font:
>>> bold True'))
>>
>> So that points the finger at the xlwt module. If it has been updated
>> has the format of that call changed - to a dictionary/tuple of values
>> for example?
>>
>> These are all guesses but might give you a starting point.
>>

>> Incidentally cttOverviewMain.0.03.2011.py seems like a bizarre
>> name for a file? I assume that's the date or somesuch? What is the
>> thinking behind that?
>>

> Thanks so much for the input Alan, guesses on your part are far better
> than the ignorance on my part.  I do get automatic updates (though
> xlwt is not part of that, OpenOffice and its xls writing is), will have
> to look at that.

Many package managers keeps a history of what packages are
installed/updated/removed. You might want to use those to find if
OpenOffice or some other libraries had been updated since the last time
the script worked.

> Also appreciate the thoughts about the file name.  This is my first big
> project and I still have much to learn.  If you can point me to a
> discussion of file naming when there are multiple files involved in a
> project I am game to do some reading!

Use version control, it will relieve you of versioning headache.
Nowadays it's pretty easy to setup a DVCS like mercurial or git even for
small projects.