[Tutor] Need help on Setup.py

Walter Prins wprins at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 15:40:45 CET 2011

Hi Victor,

On 1 February 2011 07:38, Victor Binns <vic_prof at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  I have been trying to add some of the extras with python such as pywin32
> and others.
>
> when i click on setup.py it does not work.
>
> I need help on the problem.

This is because setup.py is not intended to just be run without
paramters/arguments.  This is explained in the readme, which states:

"'setup.py' is a standard distutils build script.  You probably want to:

% setup.py install
or
% setup.py --help

As for Python itself, these extensions require MSVC7 for Python 2.4 and
later, otherwise MSVC6.  Some extensions require a recent "Platform SDK"
from Microsoft, and in general, the latest service packs should be
installed, but run 'setup.py' without any arguments to see
specific information about dependencies.  A vanilla MSVC installation should

be able to build most extensions and list any extensions that could not be
built due to missing libraries - if the build actually fails with your
configuration, please log a bug via
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32.@
"

Notice, this implies that pywin32 includes C modules..., which means that to
install from pywin32 from sources you'll also need a C compiler (Microsoft
Visual Studio I guess.)  This is, I strongly suspect, not what you intended
at all, so for PyWin32 you really want to just download a Windows .exe
installer package and install that, as Alan suggested.

In general, if you're installing pure Python packages (e.g. no C modules),
"setup.py install" is a perfectly acceptable way to install such
packages/modules.  If there's native Windows intsaller packages available
that's also of course fine (and probably easier for Windows users due to
being more familiar.)

Regards,

Walter