[Tutor] 'Installing' Python at runtime? (Civilization)

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Fri Feb 4 03:18:33 CET 2011

Alan Gauld wrote:

> "C.Y. Ruhulessin" <izzaddin.ruhulessin at gmail.com> wrote
>
>> When I load up Civilization IV, a Firaxis game, the loading screen
>> tells me
>>
>> However, I can't seem to find out where it installs python
>
> It probably doesn't actually install Python it is simply loading
> the interpreter into memory.

That's what it says... it says "Loading Python", not installing it. It
would include a version of Python when the game was installed, possibly
embedded in the Civilization game itself. *Installing* Python each time
you start the game would be silly.

To find out where it is installed, use your operating system's Find
Files utility to search for a file named "python". If you don't find it,
that could mean they have renamed it something else, or it is embedded
in the game where you can't get to it.

> It probably uses Python as its macro language for configuration
> or customisation. To execute those scripts it will need to load
> a DLL containing the interpreter code. I don't know for sure
> but I'd guess that's what it means.

Many games use Python as a scripting language. (Lua is another popular
choice.) The multiplayer game EVE maintains a special port of Python
called "stackless".

--
Steven