[Tutor] Python + Sound

Corey Richardson kb1pkl at aim.com
Sat Feb 12 07:07:32 CET 2011

Hello Tutors,

I'm working on a small script that compresses a file, sends it through
the telephone, and then receives and decompresses the file on the other
end. The compression is the easy part. The transmission is the hard
part. If anyone has worked with sound before, what do you recommend?
I've tried out audiere (didn't really work out) and alsaaudio (not quite
sure that it was working like I wanted to, probably an ID-10t error).
I'm doing this for a number of reasons including boredom and something
new that I've never seen before (too young to remember archaic things
like 'dial-up').

I don't really want to use the wave module because it looks like too
much work. I like the alsaaudio interface of p.write(data), but I didn't
really know what data was supposed to be (probably should read up on PCM
devices?)

So, what should I use? I can use different things different ways too, I
don't need one module for sending and one for recording.

Thank you,
~Corey