[Tutor] Python printing to LPT

Bill Allen wallenpb at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 22:14:53 CET 2011

Alan,

Sorry for being vague.   I am wanting to print from a Python app that I am
writing for MS Windows XP.    The desired end result is to print some plain
text to a dot matrix printer that the printer can handle with its own
internal fonts without need for any kind of other processing.    What I
envisioned was something like a write method to a file, except LPT being the
file object.   I was hoping to do this directly from the Python program to
avoid calls to the Windows OS utilities, like a redirect to PRN, but am open
to that if I must.  If this was a *nix system of some sort, I would not
sweat it and use the OS to handle this but I am dubious about the
reliability of using the MS Windows "DOS" in a production environment.

Also, to answer the "what in the world are you doing with a dot matrix
printer?" question that some may be wondering.   Normally, I would not even
bother with an LPT dot matrix printer, but in this case the application
requires that the dot matrix printer do the job of printing to an "etching
tape".   The dot matrix pins cut through the wax on the etching tape
allowing it to be used as an acid electro-etching negative on metallic
parts.

I am guessing there may be a 3rd party module that allows for what I am
doing, but have not yet identified it.   As always, I am very open to any
suggestions and appreciative of the help.

--Bill