[Tutor] Running Existing Python

ALAN GAULD alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sat Feb 26 10:29:26 CET 2011

The error says it can't find the file hello.py.
That means its probably in some other folder
or you need to specify the full or relative path to the file
This is a MacOS issue not Python, its how your MacOS
shell is searching for the file.

If it is in the same folder try explicitly telling MacOS:

$ python ./hello.py

Or if it is somewhere else either cd to that folder
or type the path:

$ python /the/full/path/to/the/dfile/hello.py

There are some environment variables you can
set in your login script which will help MacOS
find the files but they depend on which shell
Terminal is running, tcsh or bash are the usual
options.

Finally there is a trick you can use on the hello.py
file that means you can launch the .py file directly
from Finder. It's called the shebang trick by Unix
folks.

Basically you add a line like

#! /usr/env/python

To the very top of the file. MacOS will then use that
command to execute the script. If usr/env doesn't
work type

$ which python

and copy the output instead of /usr/env

Alan Gauld