[Tutor] Cross-Module Interaction

Walter Prins wprins at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 12:19:48 CET 2011

On 26 February 2011 11:10, Corey Richardson <kb1pkl at aim.com> wrote:

> On 02/26/2011 06:05 AM, Walter Prins wrote:
> > I'd be tempted to say you should not be worrying about such performance
> > issues at this stage.
>
> Indeed, but I can't have every piece of variable information being saved
> to disk and then read back again every time a player leaves or enters a
> room, that'd just be silly!

Sure.  I still think however that at this stage it's a much of a muchness.
Modern PC's and disk caching subsystems being what they are, you likely
won't really notice it either way until you're quite far along with this
project.  ;)  (I'm not suggesting you should be willfully stupid of course,
and the mere fact that you write the above indicates you're not, so there's
no problem!)

> Playing MUD's for a bit it gets annoying on a medium-size server when
> you have to wait more than 3 seconds just to get how much health you
> have after attacking some baddie. I won't be trying to pull every
> microsecond of efficiency out of this, but I would like it to be
> sensible and now waste time dawdling.

Sure.  It's of course an assumption that the delay you see is due to disk
I/O... (it may well be, but then again there's lots of possible reasons for
things being slow...)

> (And the full quote is "We should forget about *small* efficiencies, say
> about 97% of the time: premature optimization is the root of all evil."
> (emphasis added))

I know what the full quote is, I continue to be of the opinion that the
point it makes is relevant, it's not worth worrying too much about.  Pick a
strategy that works sufficiently, you can always refactor and improve when
needed.

Good luck,

Walter