[Tutor] accessing another system's environment

Walter Prins wprins at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 12:42:12 CET 2011

On 26 February 2011 04:26, Bill Allen <wallenpb at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, that's it exactly.    :-)
>
> I administrate the workstations in our engineering environment and some of
> the major pieces of software we use are configured via the Windows system
> environment variables.  Being able to reach out to a PC and check or change
> those is handy, even important, in my situation.   I am trying to explore
> the possibility of managing these from a system I am using in a platform
> independent way and figure that I ought to be able to do this with Python.
> Perhaps there are third party Python modules I need to help accomplish this?

Are you intending changing *running processes* environment variables, or
merely update a given PC's configuration so that next time an app starts
they'll see the new settings?  (I'd guess the latter as even Windows itself
won't e.g. update running instances of cmd.exe's environment when you change
them after an instance of cmd.exe has started.)

Walter