[Tutor] syntax error that i cant spot!

Wayne Werner waynejwerner at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 02:58:04 CET 2011

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 9:52 AM, Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at btinternet.com>wrote:

> "Corey Richardson" <kb1pkl at aim.com> wrote

>>> Python appears to use camelCase more than not.
>>>

>> I tend to disagree with that. In the stdlib, as well as the builtins,
>> many, many methods are alllowercase, for example str.isdigit() or
>> socket.gethostname().
>>

> Which should, according to PEP8, be get_hostname()(*) and
> is_digit()...
>
> The stdlib is a mess of inconsistency. I assume that's why PEP8
> seems to get more attention these days - it's been around for ages.
> Some modules use CamelCase, some use underscores and
> some just use long lowercase names (the worst option! - well
> apart from all uppercase like COBOL...!)

Well, PEP8 does suggest that the preference is 1) lowercase names unless
readability suffers, such as in goallist or something that can be improved,
then 2) goal_list is preferred over goalList, unless 3) existing code uses
theOtherWay.

Personally I feel lowercase_with_underscores to be more readable than
lowercaseWithoutUnderscores, although since I took that (required) Java
class my junior year, I'm used to
typingIncrediblyLongNamesThatAreRidiculouslyVerboseTellingYouEverythingThatTheClassOrFunctionMayOrMayNotDo,
in that style of case. I am firmly convinced that Java is the reason IDEs
with really good auto complete were developed ;)

I try to code according to PEP8, and write all my functions/variables using
onlylowercase except when_i_cant_tell_what_that_word_is. And of course I try
to make my variables as short as possible, but no shorter :)

-lowercasefully,
wayne_werner