[Tutor] wx accelerator table: one keystroke seems skipped

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 18:46:03 CET 2011

From: "Alex Hall" <mehgcap at gmail.com>

> On 1/6/11, Octavian Rasnita <orasnita at gmail.com> wrote:
>> From: "Alex Hall" <mehgcap at gmail.com>
>>> Hello all,
>>> First, this is about a wx accelerator table, so if it is too off-topic
>>> for this list, let me know.
>>>
>>> I have a table with 23 entries, all of which work. I added another
>>> entry last night, and it does not work. The odd thing, though, is that
>>> I do not get an error of any kind anywhere in the program, the
>>> keystroke simply does not call the function to which it should be
>>> bound. I even changed the function name to something that should have
>>> thrown an exception, but nothing at all happens. The keystroke in
>>> question is ctrl+m and is tied to ctrlM_id and the cancelMove()
>>
>> Control+M is equivalent with a <enter> key so this might be the problem.
> Very interesting! When I changed it to shift+m, it worked perfectly,
> yet ctrl+m is completely ignored. I will have to Google this. Thanks
> for the hint; I never thought it was the actual keystroke that was
> causing the problem.

I think that not the keystroke is the problem, but the library that creates the GUI that handles it might have a bug.

I gave you the idea that Control+M might not work because for example if you press that hotkey in Notepad, it is like you'd press <enter>.

Or if you write "dir" in a command prompt and then press Control+M, it will execute that command just like after pressing <enter>

But I think that a good key handler should be able to distinguish between <enter> and Control+M...

Octavian