[Tutor] about import statement

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Mon Jan 10 18:01:26 CET 2011

On 1/10/2011 4:58 AM arun kumar said...
> Hi Friends,
>
> I'm Arun Kumar from India, Just a month ago i started learning
> programming .learned some basics of python. I'm really enjoying
> programming in python.
>
> I have some doubts in python. When we write programs,we write some
> import statements at the beginning of the code. how to know that we
> should import something. How do we know that certain classes are in
> particular module?

I found effbot's guide to the standard library helpful -- and although
it's nor current, you'll still get a good idea of where things are at
and how to use them.  See http://effbot.org/zone/librarybook-index.htm

Also, experiment with help() from the python prompt.  Once in the help
system, type in 'modules' to see a list of installed available modules
to explore, or a module name for more info on that module.

HTH,

Emile