[Tutor] Sorting a List

Bill Allen wallenpb at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 03:17:51 CET 2011

Corey,

I have a bit of code that use in a CGI that sorts some picture files,
perhaps something like this will work for you.

The file sorting bit:
dir_list = os.listdir("/localhost/html/pics")
dir_list.sort()  #sorts the list of filenames in place

Just in case there is something else useful in the routine I am using, here
is the total code.   It not produces a sorted list of the file names, it
keeps the amount of files in the directory from growing out of control in my
particular Python CGI app.   In this case, I keep only the 5 most recent
files.  The code does not have to look at the file timestamps to do this
because I am using the epoch time at time of the file's creation as the
file's name i.e.  from time import time; new_filename = str(int(time()))
.

file_list = ""
count = 0
dir_list = os.listdir("/localhost/html/pics")
dir_list.sort()
for file in dir_list:
    count = count + 1
    if count < 5:
        pass
    else:
        basename = os.path.basename(file)
        if basename.endswith('.png'):
            file_list = file_list + basename+'\n'
            os.remove("/localhost/html/pics/"+dir_list[0])

--Bill Allen