[Tutor] Beginning Python and other resources (was Re: SlicingTuples)

wesley chun wescpy at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 22:15:42 CET 2011

>> Object Oriented Programming" by Dusty Phillips - and found it on Amazon for
>> $43 new on up and $70 for used but maybe that was hardback?  Do you happen
>> to know of some other way to obtain it for less than $45?

the retail price of the book is $49.99, and Packt books are usually
POD (print on-demand), and they don't discount them very much
because... they're not mass-produced.

> I obtained my paperback copy from the publisher's website
> www.packtpub.com It is also available there as an e-book. Also I
> notice there is a free sample chapter there which will give an idea of
> its content.

the free material is chapter 7 of the book, called "object-oriented
shortcuts." it's a nice intro/summary of every day Python tools like
various utility built-in functions (len, enumerate, reversed, zip),
list and other comprehensions leading to generator expressions then
generators proper.

continuing the functional programming feel from there, it goes into
the various features available in your function signature, e.g.,
default args, varargs; then functions themselves as objects.

based on this theme, it sounds like a book that introduces Python
(specifically Python 3) from an "object-based" approach. it doesn't
mean that the whole book will be about *writing classes* in Python,
but to have more object-awareness as you're learning the language.
(this wasn't a book review as much as it was getting a feel for the
book based on looking through one sample chapter.) :-)

cheers,
-- wesley
"Python Fundamentals", Prentice Hall, (c)2009
    http://corepython.com

wesley.j.chun :: wescpy-at-gmail.com
http://cyberwebconsulting.com