[Tutor] TKinter help

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sun Jan 16 02:07:49 CET 2011

"walter weston" <hacker0100 at hotmail.com> wrote

> I am just starting to learn Tkinter and I was wondering if I should
> just run tkinter in pythons new window and run the program.

You don;t run Tkinter, it is just a set of modules like any other.
So you run Python as normal, whether from ODLE or from
the command line.

Older versions of IDLE, being written in Tkinter, got confused
so the best advice was wriite the code in IDLE but run it
separately. However newer version of IDLE seem better able
to cope. Personally, however, I'd still recommend running the
code outside IDLE.

> ...I want to create a text widget that has a quit box.
> will pythons IDLE be able to handle this and display the widget ?

IDLE won't display anything but it will run the program which
will display the widgets in a separate window.

> or are there other IDE's that I need to use?

IDLE should be fine if you like it. Just if in doubt try running
the code from a command line (or file explorer window).

If you are having difficulty it is best to post actual code with
actual errors and we can give specific answers.

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site