[Tutor] Having a problem with markdown

ian douglas ian.douglas at iandouglas.com
Wed Jan 26 08:46:43 CET 2011

Hey all,

I followed a tutorial on creating a very simple wiki in Python, which
worked fine until the example where the instructor wanted to render the
output through markdown.markdown()

Here's the view code:

from agwiki.wiki.models import Page
from django.shortcuts import render_to_response
from django.http import HttpResponseRedirect
import markdown

def view_page(request, page_name):
     try:
         page = Page.objects.get(pk=page_name)
     except Page.DoesNotExist:
         return render_to_response("create.html", {"page_name":page_name})
     content = page.content
     return
render_to_response("view.html",{"page_name":page_name,"content":markdown.markdown(content)})

The problem I'm having is that the output in a browser is outputing HTML
markers as &lt; and &gt; instead of < and > so the browser literally
shows "<p>hello world</p>". If I leave the line as it originally was:

     return
render_to_response("view.html",{"page_name":page_name,"content":content})

It just prints "hello world" as saved in the database. I'm just not sure
where to start looking for a solution here, and would appreciate any
pointers.