[Tutor] problem reading script

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Fri Jul 1 18:46:19 CEST 2011

Lisi wrote:
> On Friday 01 July 2011 14:26:07 Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>> If they look the same to you, then you need to increase your font size,
>> change to a programmers font, or possible clean your glasses :)
>
> Thanks for the reply, Steven.
>
> Suggestions for "a programmers font" gratefully received.

Here are some links I found useful:

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2007/10/revisiting-programming-fonts.html
http://damieng.com/blog/2008/05/26/envy-code-r-preview-7-coding-font-released
http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/12/6/11739/5249
http://www.ms-studio.com/FontSales/anonymous.html
http://www.levien.com/type/myfonts/inconsolata.html

This link astonishes me:

http://www.sitepoint.com/top-10-programming-fonts/

How can anyone claim that Arial is a good programming font? Or even a
good font for on-screen work at all? It has to be said that Arial does
look reasonably good printed out, but on the low resolution of computer
monitors, it's garbage. rn and m are virtually indistinguishable in
Arial, which essentially disqualifies it as a programmer font.

> But it would be useful to know a specific programmer's font for when I am
> having difficulty seeing this particular distinction.  I am used to having to
> look at just one word in a different font to distinguish between I and l
> (which currently look identical to me), where the context doesn't help.
>
> All I have to do now is work out/ look up what '' means!!

'' is the empty string, the same as "". In Python, single quotes and
double quotes have the same meaning. That allows you to embed one inside
the other without escaping:

# Don't do this:
s = "He said, \"Waiter, there is a fly in my soup!\""

# Instead do this:
s = 'He said, "Waiter, there is a fly in my soup!"'

--
Steven