[Tutor] Help with making emacs work with python syntax checking?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Jul 5 00:59:48 CEST 2011

"Tidal Espeon" <tidal.espeon at gmail.com> wrote

>I need help with installing this setup on my emacs:

Why do you want this? Are you already an emacs
user? If so then fine, go ahead. But if you do not
already use emacs, lerarning it will be a big effort.
emacs is a big, powerful tool and once you know
it you can use it for almost everything. But its not
something you can learn to use quickly.

> The problem is that I have no clue how to
> access any .emacs file or .emacs.d

Which strongly suggests you are not n emacs regular.
If you were you would be editing .emacs regularly!

> the IDLE just doesn't cut it for me.

There are lots of other development enmvirobnments around.
If you are a typical GUI user, which it sounds as if you are,
then a tool liker Eclipse, (or maybe Blackadder or .Wing or SPE)
might be more appropriate. They are powerful but GUI
oriented rather than command oriented.

Frankly if you are not already an emacs user, or unless
you want to make emacs you standard environment
in the future and will spend the time changing your
computing habits to suit emacs, I'd give up and find
a more GUI friendly tool set!

And I say that as someone who is an emacs (and vim) user!
emacs is a powerful tool and a great programmer's
environment, but it's not for the faint hearted.

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site