[Tutor] Get file last user

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Jul 12 22:32:37 CEST 2011

Susana Iraiis Delgado Rodriguez wrote:
> Hello list!!!
>
> I want to get the last user who accessed to a file, ...
> Is there a way to find out who used the file for the last time?

You don't say wgich OS you are using, which bis alklimportant.l Heavy
duty industrial OS like OS.390,Pick and VAX VMS do record an audit
trail, if the admin has swirtchedv that on. But mid range OS like
Windows and Unix do not, so fgar as I know, record who made a change,
just when the change was made. But that also probably depends on the
filesystem in Linux, some of the more exotic ones may support audit trails.

If you really need to know who made changes you need to use a version
control system like RCS, CVS, SVN, etc. Thats what they are designed to
do, amongst other things...

HTH,