[Tutor] Viability of Python

Ryan Strunk ryan.strunk at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 22:49:19 CEST 2011

Hello everyone,
I have been reading a lot of different articles recently, and I have
found a divergence of opinions on the viability of Python as a viable
language for high-end programs. At the same time, even sites that
recommend Python seem to recommend it as a good first language.
This email is not written to stir up controversy. I am a fan of Python
myself and use it for all of my programming. But therein lies the crux
of my question. If Python has limitations, what are they? What sorts
of things is Python useful for and what things is it not? And finally,
if there is code after Python, what’s a good second language, and when
should someone start learning it?
Thanks for any help you can give.
Best,
Ryan