[Tutor] Object Management

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Jul 28 02:13:03 CEST 2011

Alexander wrote:
> Hello everyone. I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around a project I'm
> working on. My goal is to create a program that manages (allows its users to
> manipulate, search by criteria and edit) objects. There is one type of
> object, for example I'll say it's a car.

This is called a database. Implementing databases correctly is a HUGE
job: more work than writing an operating system.

Take my advice and choose an existing database. If your needs are light,
use SQLite. If your needs are heavy, MySQL or Postgres. If you need to
impress corporate buyers with more money than sense, and you have a
large budget, Oracle. Then concentrate on building the user-friendly
front-end to the database. That alone will be a big job.

If you are happy with a web-interface, rather than a desktop GUI, I
recommend you look at CherryPy. It's a nice, lightweight web framework
without the learning curve of Django and similar.

--
Steven