[Tutor] python "glue"

Alexandre Conrad alexandre.conrad at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 19:06:43 CEST 2011

I think by "glue language", it meant that it's also a "lightweight"
programming language in a sense that it can be used for scripting.
Just slap pieces of code and external programs together and make it
all work in harmony. When I hear "gluing", I think you did not write
everything from scratch but you basically took existing programs you
use everyday and automated daily tasks by "gluing" these programs
together, where the glue would be a thin layer of Python.

I could think of gluing if, for example, you wrote a Python program to
read commands from user input, connect to multiple servers by calling
the "ssh" program, issue commands to all server simultaneously, parse
outputs, log them to a file, detect / reformat errors to be shown back
to the end-user and upload log files to a backup server using the
"ftp" program.

Sorry, this doesn't answer your WebOS / Android games questions. I am
not familiar with those so I can't tell. I just wanted to give my
version of the "glue language" wording.

2011/6/5 Benjamin Gregg <benjamin.gregg at virginmedia.com>:
> Hi I recently bought a book (python programing for the absolute beginner)
> and it said python was a "glue" language (could work with other languages)
> I've been trying to make apps for android and webOS and I was wondering
> if I could use python for doing this through "glueing" to program games on
> android and
> webOS can anyone help?
>
> yours sincerely minipot
>
> p.s:I have already tried pygame subset for android but it didn't give me
> enough freedom.

Alex | twitter.com/alexconrad