[Tutor] Excited about python

Patty patty at cruzio.com
Fri Jun 10 16:21:38 CEST 2011

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Kaustubh Pratap chand
  To: tutor at python.org
  Sent: Friday, June 10, 2011 5:41 AM
  Subject: [Tutor] Excited about python

  Hello,
  I just joined this mailing list so that i can boost up my learning of python.I come from a C background so python looks a little strange to me but it is easier to learn then any other languages around.Yet,i have not been able to find any cool books on python for peoples who are already programmers.The ones which i found which i found were quite boring and exhaustive.

  Can you recommend a book for a person like me which comes with a C background and the book covers all essential algoithmic methods and examples?

  Thank you.

  Tutor maillist  -  Tutor at python.org

  Hello Kaustubh:

  I am also a C programmer and the first thing I read about Python was "A  Quick, Painless Tutorial on the Python Language" by Prof. Norman Matloff of UC-Davis.
  Here is the link to his page -- I didn't realize he had created other tutorials regarding Python, and will have to look at those myself.

  http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/~matloff/python.html

  Here is the specific link to the tutorial I mentioned:  http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/~matloff/Python/PythonIntro.pdf

  In addition, I wasn't satisfied after learning on my own and took an online course.

  I also like Beginning Python - From Novice to Professional by Magnus Hetland.  I have other books as well, such as Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner by Michael Dawson, but I like Hetland's style more and have a book being shipped to me by Hetland called Python Algorithms.

  Good Luck

  Patty