[Tutor] Floating point exercise 3 from Learn python the hard way

amt 0101amt at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 21:28:37 CEST 2011

> Can you explain your reasoning? Why do you think line 3 needs
> to be changed? Why line 5?

Well the exercise says: "Rewrite ex3.py to use floating point numbers so
it’s more accurate (hint: 20.0 is floating point)."

I am honestly confused. I have read the exercise and found three lines that
could use the floating point(2,3 and line 5). This is were the confusion is
appearing. I can understand why at line 5 I use floating point. 6,75 is more
precise than saying 7. But I can't understand at line 2 and 3. I mean it
makes no difference for me. Saying 30 or 30.0 is the same thing. As well as
saying 97 or 97.0.

>  I came up with:
>> print "Roosters", 100 - float(25) * 3 % 4
>>
>> This is for line 3 so it is more precised.
>>

> In what way do you think this is more precise?

As I said, I am confused when it comes to line 2 and 3. But I think having
more digits after the " ." makes it more precise.

> I don't understand your comment on line 5.
> Why would the answer be 6.83?
> Can you add parentheses to the expression
> showing how you arrive at 6.83?

The answer at line 5 is 7 because I have integers and I think Python
approximates. I have done line 5 with pencil and paper: 3 + 2 + 1 - 5 = 1, 1
+ 4%2 = 1, 1 - (1/4)= 1, 1 + 6 = 7
If I use floating point the right answer will be 6,75 but I don't know how
to get to this answer. On paper I got 7 not 6,75. I'm horrible at math right
now, so please forgive me.

> HTH,
>
> --
> Alan Gauld