[Tutor] Seattle PyCamp 2011

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sat Jun 18 03:15:18 CEST 2011

Noah Hall wrote:

> Just a note, but are these questions jokes?
>
>> Know how to use a text editor (not a word processor, but a text editor)?
>> Know how to use a browser to download a file?
>> Know how to run a program installer?
>
> If not, then I'd consider removing them. This isn't 1984.

I think the questions are fine. It indicates the level of technical
knowledge required -- not much, but more than just the ability to sign
in to AOL.

In 1984 the newbies didn't know anything about computers *and knew they
didn't know*, but now you have people who think that because they can
write a letter in Microsoft Office and save as HTML, they're expert at
programming.

I wish I were joking but I've had to work for some of them.

--
Steven