[Tutor] Seattle PyCamp 2011

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Sun Jun 19 19:47:48 CEST 2011

On 6/17/2011 11:03 PM, Noah Hall wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 2:15 AM, Steven D'Aprano<steve at pearwood.info>  wrote:
>> Noah Hall wrote:
>>
>>> Just a note, but are these questions jokes?

>>> If not, then I'd consider removing them. This isn't 1984.
>>
>> I think the questions are fine. It indicates the level of technical
>> knowledge required -- not much, but more than just the ability to sign in to
>> AOL.
>>
>> In 1984 the newbies didn't know anything about computers *and knew they
>> didn't know*, but now you have people who think that because they can write
>> a letter in Microsoft Office and save as HTML, they're expert at
>> programming.
>>
>> I wish I were joking but I've had to work for some of them.
>
> That's true, I suppose, but in that case the rest of the questions are
> out of place.
>
> I believe that someone who knows what environmental variables are and
> how to change them is a huge step up from someone who knows how to
> *download things*.

Mr. Hall,

I've taught Python to over a thousand students. And these questions,
which are on the PyCamp site and not in the previous email to this list,
are not only not the slightest bit out of place or jokes, but rather
necessary. We didn't start out asking these questions of prospective
students. They were developed from experience.

As far as 1984, plenty of people in 1984 knew what environment variables
were and how to change them without knowing how to use a browser to
download anything. :) What is a "step up" is a matter of perspective. We
get not a lot but plenty enough people coming to PyCamp whose last
experience with using a computer was 1984. It's simple courtesy to warn
those people of what to expect.

Thank you for your concern.

--
Sincerely,

Chris Calloway http://nccoos.org/Members/cbc
office: 3313 Venable Hall   phone: (919) 599-3530