[Tutor] BLAS Implementation on Python

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Mon Mar 7 14:45:47 CET 2011

Knacktus, 07.03.2011 14:28:
> Am 07.03.2011 01:50, schrieb Mahesh Narayanamurthi:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am thinking of implementing a BLAS package in pure python. I am
>> wondering if this is a good idea.
>>
> My design goals are:
>>
>> [2] Targetted to run on Python3
> Good idea. NumPy and SciPy will be (are already?) ported.

Yes, NumPy has been ported as of version 1.5. Not sure about the overall
status of SciPy, their FAQ isn't up to date.

>> [4] To serve as a reference design for
>> future High Performance Code in Python
> The future of High Performance Python is probably PyPy.

PyPy has been "the future" ever since they started ;-). They have gotten
faster, but it's is still far from being suitable for any kind of numerical
high performance computing. That will continue to be the domain of C,
Fortran and Cython for a while, and potentially including LuaJIT2 for
certain use cases (usable from Python through Lupa, BTW).

Stefan