[Tutor] ctypes question

Joel Goldstick joel.goldstick at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 12:14:45 CET 2011

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 4:09 AM, ALAN GAULD <alan.gauld at btinternet.com>wrote:

> > When I use os.chdir (by the way: why on earth isn't this called
> os.setcwd()??
> > That's consistent with os.getcwd())
> History.
> They are Unix commands (and possibly Multics/PDP before that!).
> cd has been the command in almost every CLI OS I've ever used from
> CP/M thru' OS/9, Unix, DOS,  etc...
> The only exceptions being VAX/VMS(uses 'set def') and OS/390 on
> a mainframe which doesn't use a directory based file system.
> That doesn't mean Python shouldn't adopt a more consistent naming
> scheme it's just that the folks building it simply transferred the names
> of the commands that they were familiar with. Its a self perpetuating
> habit... :-)
> Alan G.
I'm glad to see you got the result you wanted.  But, by moving your current
working directory to the library's directory seems like it could cause other
problems with the code.  I don't do python on windows, and have unremembered
a lot I used to know about windows.  So, my question is, isn't there another
way to do this?

Joel Goldstick