[Tutor] New person greets you all!

Knacktus knacktus at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 11 19:18:29 CET 2011

Am 11.03.2011 17:12, schrieb Yaşar Arabacı:
> Hi,
>
> First of all, I want to greet you all since this is the first time I
> will be using this mail groups.
>
> I consider myself being familiar with programming logic, structures in
> general. I do/did lots of PHP programming. I know python and PHP is
> pretty much different things, I am saying this just to show yourself my
> level of understanding on programming. I am not computer major or
> anything, but I am highly interested in.
>
> Today, I decided to make a chat application using python. I have chosen
> python because I know its powerfull and easy to use. The first step for
> me to go should be, clearly, begin learning how to use it :)
>
> My question is, where would you recommend for me to read tutorials, see
> example etc. What is the best approach would be?

The official Python tutorial is a good start. You get familiar with the
Python documentation as well.
http://docs.python.org/py3k/
(Find the link to the tutorial on this page.)

A classic and famous tutorial is here:
http://www.alan-g.me.uk/
If you have any questions about this, you're lucky to be on this list,
because the author of this ressource is very active here. (One of or the
founder of the list?)

Another classic is "Dive into Python". You can find it easily with
google. There're two versions, Python 2.x and 3.x. By the way, I would
recommend starting with Python 3.2. Some 3rd party libs and web
frameworks are not ported yet, but for your chat app you should be very
happy with Python 3.2.

Recently, a tutorial with a bit of a different style has been finished.
I haven't done it and the style is not my cup of tea, but some people
like it a lot. It's called "Learning Python the hard way". Google for
the url...

Now, welcome to the beach of programming!

Jan