[Tutor] Help with python-gnupg

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sat Mar 12 09:14:44 CET 2011

Becky Mcquilling wrote:
> If anyone is familiar with python-gnupg, I am having some difficulty with
> the syntax.  I've tried the following:

When dealing with third party packages, unless it is an extremely
well-known package like numpy or nltk, it is usually a good idea to link
to the project's home page. Do you mean this project?

http://packages.python.org/python-gnupg/

Reading the documentation, I think either of these should work:

#1 encrypt data in a file
input_file = open('c:/test/filename.txt', 'r')
# notice that you open the file, but do not read from it.
encrypted_data = gpg.encrypt_file(input_file, 'ladymcse at gmail.com',
     output='c:/gpg_test/data.gpg2')

#2 encrypt data from a string
data = open('c:/test/filename.txt', 'r').read()
encrypted_data = gpg.encrypt_file(data, 'ladymcse at gmail.com',
     output='c:/gpg_test/data.gpg2')

It looks like the problem you have is that you are passing the output
file object, instead of just the file name.

If this doesn't solve your problem, please post the exact error message
in full, including the traceback, with the exact code you are using.

--
Steven