[Tutor] lambda

Ajit Deshpande ajitsd at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 15:44:34 CET 2011

I am trying to figure out where lambda functions can be useful. Has anyone
used them in real world?

>From my reading so far, I hear people claim that lambda can be a useful
replacement for small functions. Most examples  didn't make much sense to
me. Why would anyone use a one liner anonymous function, if you never plan
to use it elsewhere? You would then be implementing the logic directly in
the line, isn't it?. Functions are useful if they plan to get called
multiple times within your code.

For example:

add_one = lambda x: x + 1

In real world, why would I use a lambda for this. I would simply do:

add_one = x + 1

Can you provide some useful use cases for lambda functions?

~ Ajit Deshpande