[Tutor] Parsing data from a csv file

Joel Goldstick joel.goldstick at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 14:24:54 CET 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 8:34 AM, louis leichtnam <l.leichtnam at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am to extract a csv file from the web and parse it in python and after
> that make it into an html page.
>
> I want to get the data out of the csv file, get rid of the "," and make it
> readable.
>
> Questions:
> I would like to be able to print the line I want but I don't know how to do
> it.
> I would like to modify some lines, and make them cleaner
>
> Can you help me?
>

> import urllib, csv
> url=r"http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~joshua/teaching/cs3101/simpsons_diet.csv
> "
> simpsons=urllib.urlopen(url)
> reader=csv.reader(simpsons,delimiter=',',quotechar='"')
> a=[]
> b=[]
> c=[]
> d=[]
> e=[]
> for char,meal,ate,qty,com in reader:

at this point  you have the five fields you want
if you do print char, meal, ate, qty,com you will see your data with the
commas gone

>     for x in char:
>         a.append(x)
>     for y in meal:
>         b.append(y)
>     for z in ate:
>         c.append(z)
>     for aa in qty:
>         d.append(aa)
>     for bb in com:
>         e.append(bb)
> for i in range(1::):
>     print a[i]+b[i]+c[i]+d[i]+e[i]

These for loops puzzle me.  It looks like you are iterating over each
character in each variable, then creating a list containing each character.
I don't think you want to do that.

The for i in range(1::): will give you an error.  The range parameter needs
to be something with a length, like a string, or a list, or a tuple.

Can you show a little bit of your data file, and give us the traceback and
output of your program?

Joel Goldstick