[Tutor] ValueError

Johnson Tran aznjonn at me.com
Tue May 3 13:27:27 CEST 2011

Thanks for the replies..so I added the "try" block but it still does not seem to be outputting my default error message:

def Conversion():
    try:

        print "This program converts the first value from inches to centimeters and second value centimeters to inches."
        print "(1 inch = 2.54 centimeters)"
        inches = input("Enter length in inches: ")
        centimeters = 2.54 * float(inches)
        print "That is", centimeters, "centimeters."
        centimeters = input("Enter length in centimeters: ")
        inch = float(centimeters) / 2.54
        print "That is", inch, "inches."

    except ValueError:
         print "Invalid digit, please try again."
Conversion()

Error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/JT/Desktop/hw#2.py", line 16, in <module>
    Conversion()
  File "/Users/JT/Desktop/hw#2.py", line 9, in Conversion
    centimeters = input("Enter length in centimeters: ")
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
NameError: name 'fs' is not defined