[Tutor] How to compile source code in debian

Walter Prins wprins at gmail.com
Mon May 9 15:30:49 CEST 2011

Hello,

On 9 May 2011 14:04, Ganesh Kumar <bugcy013 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Gurus,
>
> I want compile ubuntu software centre source code from debian how to
> compile...please help me..
> I downloaded all file contents have python file ..
>
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/maverick/+source/software-center/3.0.4

Python is not a compiled language (in the traditional sense.)  So you can go
ahead and edit the python sources directly, run the app etc, and/or run the
setup.py file as normal to install the application system wide. (E.g.
"python setup.py install" etc. If that doesn't make sense then I'd say you
need to become more familiar with the Python "lay of the lands". Actually
offhand I'm not sure how this will interact with/affect the default
software-center installed on Ubuntu, but suffice it to say once you've built
up enough familiarity with Python and Ubuntu you'll be able to answer such
uncertainties easily yourself by doing a few experiments... )

See how you go, and if you're still stuck post back and we'll try to help.
But be specific please, say what you've tried, what you expected, and what
you actually got.  Post the full text of any error messages you get.

Walter