[Tutor] can I walk or glob a website?

Albert-Jan Roskam fomcl at yahoo.com
Wed May 18 19:39:51 CEST 2011

________________________________
From: Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at btinternet.com>
To: tutor at python.org
Sent: Wed, May 18, 2011 4:40:19 PM
Subject: Re: [Tutor] can I walk or glob a website?

"Dave Angel" <davea at ieee.org> wrote

>> "Albert-Jan Roskam" <fomcl at yahoo.com> wrote
>>> How can I walk (as in os.walk) or glob a website?
>>
>> I don't think there is a way to do that via the web.

> It has to be (more or less) possible.  That's what google does for their search
>engine.

Google trawls the site following links. If thats all he wants then its fairly
easy.
I took it he wanted to actually trawl the server getting *all* the pdf files not
just the published pdfs...

Depends what the real requirement is.

===> No, I meant only the published ones. I would consider it somewhat
dodgy/unethical/whatever-you-wanna-call-it to download unpublished stuff. Indeed
I only need published data.

Alan G.

Tutor maillist  -  Tutor at python.org