[Tutor] Non programmer wanting to become programmer

michael scott jigenbakuda at yahoo.com
Thu May 26 22:01:12 CEST 2011

I am a beginner so I can relate with you, although python is my first programming language, it sounds as if you are coming from another language. Either way, here are some sites I'll collected that have tutorials and are free.

Alan's tutorial (alan is a very active member here)
http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld/

How to think like a computer scientist (uses python)
http://openbookproject.net/thinkcs/python/english2e/index.html

Learn python the hard way
http://p2pu.org/webcraft/learn-python-hard-way

The official python tutorial (2.7) (all the versions are available)
http://docs.python.org/tutorial/index.html

If you happen to be a visual / audio learner try these

Lec 1 | MIT 6.00 Introduction to Computer Science and Programming, Fall 2008  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6U-i4gXkLM

Bucky's youtube tutorial
http://www.youtube.com/user/thenewboston#p/c/EA1FEF17E1E5C0DA/0/4Mf0h3HphEA

Lecture 1A | MIT 6.001 Structure and Interpretation, 1986 (uses scheme, but the concepts are highly transferable) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Op3QLzMgSY

If you are planning to go into video game development, I recommend this tutorial
http://inventwithpython.com/chapters/

These are just a fraction of the info out there, I found all these links in my journey to get better at programming, so if these links don't suit you, don't be scared to go out there and look.

----
What is it about you... that intrigues me so?