[Tutor] login window using Tk

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 2 02:00:58 CET 2011

On 02/11/11 00:16, Justin Straube wrote:

> Have you looked into using a Frame to hold you input fields, and then
> using .destroy() to remove it upon successful login?

This is a valid approach for some scenarios but its not the norm for
login dialogs. They usually popup as fairly small standalone windows.
But what you suggest could be done in a banner frame at the top or
bottom of the main window, then either replaced or removed from the
geometry.

> Im just a hobbyist, so if there are reasons not to use this approach,
> I'd be interested in why.

Only user experience I think. Its usually best to make a GUI work like
the other GUIs that the user is accustomed to. OTOH many web pages use
the login style that you are suggesting so maybe the fashions will
change for desktop apps too.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site