[Tutor] Python 2.7 on Ubuntu 11.10 - Do not unintall

Hugo Arts hugo.yoshi at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 07:42:52 CET 2011

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 7:26 AM,  <spawgi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Shouldn't this be treated as a bug then? As a user I should be allowed to
> uninstall the software I want to.
> Or you uninstalled other things by mistake?

I don't think this is a bug. Python 2.7 is required software for both
Gnome and Unity. Without it neither would be able to function. Since
they are non-functional anyway, it makes some sense for apt to
automatically remove them. I tried it on my virtual machine, and when
you run `sudo apt-get remove python,` it does tell you that it's about
to remove a metric ass-tonne of packages (including ubuntu-desktop and
basically gnome-everything).

That kind of output should warn most users that something isn't going
according to plan, I'd think :S

Hugo