[Tutor] string split function - how to tell how many splits

Cranky Frankie cranky.frankie at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 17:56:23 CET 2011

How do you tell how many splits the string split funtion returns? For example:

field = 'The Good Wife ;'	# a string separated by spaces
new_list = field.split(' ')	# create a list of space delimited elements
print (new_list[0])		# print the first one
print (new_list[1])		# print the second one
print (new_list[2])		# print the third one
print (new_list[3])		# print the fourth one
print (new_list[4])		# print the fifth one

The last line above causes an error. I plan on reading in a file where
I don't know what the number of splits will be. How can I find out
before trying to access an out of range index?

--
Frank L. "Cranky Frankie" Palmeri, Guilderland, NY, USA
             Risible Riding Raconteur & Writer