[Tutor] Beginning Python From Perl

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 9 01:31:29 CET 2011

On 08/11/11 22:59, Ken G. wrote:
> Not necessary learning from Perl but I would recommend Alan Gauld's
> online website for learning Python from scratch:
>
> http://www.alan-g.me.uk/

Thanks for the plug! :-)

But if you (the OP) already know Perl the standard official tutorial
should be a great start. It will teach you the Python basics in a few hours.

And as Steve said, don't try to translate Perl to Python, that leads to
awkward code that probably won't run very well.

It's a bit like translating a natural language like French into English.
You translate the ideas not the words. Every language
has its own idioms and vernacular, a literal translation just
sounds odd. It's the same with programming languages.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site