[Tutor] Hello again. Still the same problem, different question.

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sat Nov 12 07:26:48 CET 2011

Nathaniel Trujillo wrote:
> I realize that one of you told me that there is no livewires for python
> v3.1.1 but the book that I am reading teaches v3.1.1 and the code that is
> presented in the book has a line that imports a module from the livewires
> package. Now since the book covers v3.1.1, I would have to conclude that
> the code containing the line "from livewires import games" should work in
> version 3.1.1. They gave me a website to go and download a version of
> livewires that would work (www.courseptr.com/downloads) and I went there
> but I could not find that download anywhere. I think the website might have
> changed since the book was written. If anybody knows where I can get the
> version of livewires I need I would be truly greatful. My book is entitled
> Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner Third Edition. Anyway, here is
> the code that my book insists should work.

According to one of the reviews on Amazon, that's because the author of
the book has written his own customized version of Livewires which you
have to use.

http://www.amazon.ca/Python-Programming-Absolute-Beginner-Second/dp/1598631128

The book quite clearly says so too:

TRAP Although you're welcome to visit the web site of the LiveWires
      organization at http://www.livewires.org.uk , be aware that the

      livewires package used in this book is a modified version of the
      package that LiveWires created.

> Someone there told me they would've given up by now but I am not giving up
> on this one or anything else. Just to give you a heads up, you will be
> getting questions about this until this program works. Thanks for your help.

While I admire your persistence, we are all volunteers and may not
appreciate being asked the same questions over and over and over again
to no value.

I'm just saying that at some point, you may have to expect that we'll
stop answering questions if we think we're just wasting our time. If the
author's custom version is not available, and the standard version
doesn't work, then we're probably wasting our time.

--
Steven