[Tutor] longest common substring

lina lina.lastname at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 04:56:47 CET 2011

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 6:28 AM, Andreas Perstinger
<andreas.perstinger at gmx.net> wrote:
> On 2011-11-11 14:44, lina wrote:
>>
>> You are right, I did not think of this parts before. and actually the
>> initiative wish was to find possible paths, I mean, possible
>> substrings, all possible substrings. not the longest one, but at
>> least bigger than 3.
>
> I had some time today and since you have changed your initial task (from
> finding the longest common path to finding all common paths with a minimum
> length) I've modified the code and came up with the following solution:
>
> def AllCommonPaths(list1, list2, minimum=3):
> """ finds all common paths with a minimum length (default = 3)"""
>
>    # First we have to initialize the necessary variables:
>    # M is an empty table where we will store all found matches
>    # (regardless of their length)
>
>    M = [[0] * (len(list2)) for i in range(len(list1))]
>
>    # length is a dictionary where we store the length of each common
>    # path. The keys are the starting positions ot the paths in list1.
>
>    length = {}
>
>    # result will be a list of of all found paths
>
>    result =[]
>
>    # Now the hard work begins:
>    # Each element of list1 is compared to each element in list2
>    # (x is the index for list1, y is the index for list2).
>    # If we find a match, we store the distance to the starting point
>    # of the matching block. If we are in the left-most column (x == 0)
>    # or in the upper-most row (y == 0) we have to set the starting
>    # point ourself because we would get negative indexes if we look
>    # for the predecessor cell (M[x - 1][y - 1]). Else, we are one
>    # element farther away as the element before, so we add 1 to its
>    # value.
>
>    for x in range(len(list1)):
>        for y in range(len(list2)):
>            if list1[x] == list2[y]:
>                if (x == 0) or (y == 0):
>                    M[x][y] = 1
>                else:
>                    M[x][y] = M[x - 1][y - 1] + 1
>
>    # To get everything done in one pass, we update the length of
>    # the found path in our dictionary if it is longer than the minimum
>    # length. Thus we don't have to get through the whole table a
>    # second time to get all found paths with the minimum length (we
>    # don't know yet if we are already at the end of the matching
>    # block).
>
>                if M[x][y] >= minimum:
>                    length[x + 1 - M[x][y]] = M[x][y]
>

>    # We now have for all matching blocks their starting
>    # position in list1 and their length. Now we cut out this parts
>    # and create our resulting list

This is a very smart way to store their starting position as a key. My
mind was choked about how to save the list as a key before.

>    for pos in length:
>        result.append(list1[pos:pos + length[pos]])
>
>    return result
>
> I've tried to explain what I have done, but I'm sure you will still have
> questions :-).

I am confused myself with this matrix/array, about how to define
x-axis, y-axis.

I must understand some parts wrong, for the following:

> Is this close to what you want?
>
> Bye, Andreas
>
> PS: Here's the function again without comments:
>
> def AllCommonPaths(list1, list2, minimum=3):
>    """ finds all common paths with a minimum length (default = 3)"""
>
>    M = [[0] * (len(list2)) for i in range(len(list1))]

is it correct that the list2 as the x-axis, the list1 as y-axis:?

>    length = {}
>    result =[]
>
>    for x in range(len(list1)):

Here for each row ,

>        for y in range(len(list2)):

This loop go through each column of certain row then,

>            if list1[x] == list2[y]:
>                if (x == 0) or (y == 0):
>                    M[x][y] = 1

Here M[x][y] actually means the x-row? y-column, seems conflicts with
the x-axis and y-axis. they took y-axis as x row, x-axis as y column.

>                else:
>                    M[x][y] = M[x - 1][y - 1] + 1
>                if M[x][y] >= minimum:
>                    length[x + 1 - M[x][y]] = M[x][y]
>
>    for pos in length:
>        result.append(list1[pos:pos + length[pos]])
>
>    return result

I have no problem understanding the other parts, except the array and
axis entangled in my mind.