[Tutor] going big (in terms of code base)

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Nov 15 01:17:11 CET 2011

On 14/11/11 20:49, Rance Hall wrote:

> There are lots of new concepts to grasp here: From basic GUI stuff
> like event handlers to understanding class layout and what things go
> in this class and what things go in that one.

Try the "event driven programming" and OOP topics in my tutor...

> Before proceeding I need to understand how best to break up a large
> file into several smaller files and not break anything.

Try the modules & functions topic in my tutor
(emphasising the modules bit)

> The hard part I'm struggling with at this point is understanding what
> python calls the things I need to understand.

My tutor covers that, but so will some posts here :-)

> What I would like to do is create a basic app framework that I can
> use/reuse on future projects.

For the most basic GUII stiff my GUI tiopic may help, but it sounds like
you may already be up to speed there.

Most GUIs (although not Tkinter) proivide a basic framework. But its
fairly easy to do one yourself in tkinter, Programming Python by Lutz
for example, has one such.

The best pattern for GUI development is one file per window/major
dialog and separate the app logic from the presentation. (A step towards
the Model/View/Controller GUI design pattern)

> What else to I need to know about to make my idea a reality?  In what
> order would you suggest I learn these things so I can interconnect
> them properly.  For example. OOP before tkinter?

I'd definitely go event-driven, followed by OOP, followed by GUI.
Thats why its in that order in my tutor :-)

HTH,
--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site