[Tutor] Trouble installing Python on Win7 (not a valid Win 32 app)

Dave Angel d at davea.name
Tue Nov 15 19:11:09 CET 2011

On 11/15/2011 10:47 AM, Wayne Watson wrote:
> <snip>
>
> >  Highlight the line for ".py". Click the button (yes, the one that says "Change
> >  program..."). You'll
> Yes, did that.
> >  get another dialog box, and in that one there will be a button labeled
> >  "Browse". Click it. This will open up an "Open with..." dialog box, which will
> >  default to the Program Files folder. That's
> Yes, did that.
> >  probably NOT where your Python install is located - by default, Python 2.5
> >  would be installed in C:\Python25 - but it's up to you to figure out where you
> >  installed it. Once you've found it,
> For py, I found \Python25\Lib\idlelib\idle.pyw.

Does no good to specify yet another .py file as the executable.  You
must specify a .EXE file (or .BAT, or .CMD, or very rarely, a .COM file).

Find your python.exe and click on that, not on idle anything.  After
this works, you can worry about running IDLE.bat.  But get something
working first.

--

DaveA