[Tutor] Trouble installing Python on Win7 (not a valid Win 32 app)

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 16 01:33:40 CET 2011

On 15/11/11 23:55, Wayne Watson wrote:

> I think we've exhausted ourselves. Time to ditch 2.5.2 and find a better
> version of Python to work on.

There is nothiong wrong with Python 2.5.2, I used it for several years
on Windows. But the default installation should not be setting up idle
as the interpreter for .py files.

However it would make more sense in 2011 to install a more recent
version unless you specifically need 2.5 to work sith some old library.
Otherwise 2.6 or 2.7 would be more senmsioble.

Also if you are on Windows I strongly recommend the ActiveState version.
Open Source purists may object but its integration with Windows is
better and Pythonwin is a much better IDE than IDLE in almost every respect.

> I started this very simply. I just installed 2.5.2, as we know both
> know, and made no changes to any associations. The install made them,
> not me.

It sounds like the install maybe got messed up somehow, I've experienced
that with python before. It's possible that simply uninstalling and
reinstalling a fresh version will work.
But as mentioned I'd recommend getting the ActiveState
distribution.

HTH,
--
Alan G