[Tutor] Trouble installing Python on Win7 (not a valid Win 32 app)

Wayne Watson sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 16 02:59:30 CET 2011

It was the default action before with the right-click. I don't care
about double-click. I just looked on my XP, and that's the way it's done
on 2.5.2 there.  I have no idea how this got onto double-click.  Let's
not worry about it in any case.

We can quibble some more, but I'm done with this effort.  See my next
post to Alan in a minute or two. Nevertheless, thanks for the help.

> That's not entirely true, actually.  See, the DEFAULT association for
> Python files, as set by the installation, is just to run the damn
> things using python.exe or pythonw.exe - NOT to edit them in IDLE.  By
> default, if you want to edit the script you right-click and select
> "Open in IDLE" (or you use some other editor/IDE), but if you
> double-click it the script just runs.  What's messed with all of that
> is your insistence that you want IDLE to be the default action.  And
> there's nothing wrong with that either - but you need to recognize
> that it is NOT the default setting, and plan accordingly.

              "My suspicion is that the universe is not only queerer
               than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose." --
               Physiologist and Geneticist J.B.S. Haldane 1860-1936

                     (Maybe not, Dr. Haldane. We have an
                      amazing imagination)

                     Web Page:<www.speckledwithstars.net/>