[Tutor] Trouble installing Python on Win7 (not a valid Win 32 app)

Wayne Watson sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 16 03:01:09 CET 2011

Thanks. I took a look at active state once.  Too much of a learning
curve for me at the time.  I'm not a frequent user of Python.  I was on
a small project that depended on 2.5.2.  There were some issues with
numpy, and other libs that needed to stay put. Project is pretty well
gone.  If not, I'm going to declare it dead.

I think I'm done here with 2.5.2.  I think it's time to move to 2.6 or
2.7. Now!

On 11/15/2011 4:33 PM, Alan Gauld wrote:
> On 15/11/11 23:55, Wayne Watson wrote:
>
>> I think we've exhausted ourselves. Time to ditch 2.5.2 and find a better
>> version of Python to work on.
>
> There is nothiong wrong with Python 2.5.2, I used it for several years
> on Windows. But the default installation should not be setting up idle
> as the interpreter for .py files.
>
> However it would make more sense in 2011 to install a more recent
> version unless you specifically need 2.5 to work sith some old
> library. Otherwise 2.6 or 2.7 would be more senmsioble.
>
> Also if you are on Windows I strongly recommend the ActiveState version.
> Open Source purists may object but its integration with Windows is
> better and Pythonwin is a much better IDE than IDLE in almost every
> respect.
>
>> I started this very simply. I just installed 2.5.2, as we know both
>> know, and made no changes to any associations. The install made them,
>> not me.
>
> It sounds like the install maybe got messed up somehow, I've
> experienced that with python before. It's possible that simply
> uninstalling and reinstalling a fresh version will work.
> But as mentioned I'd recommend getting the ActiveState
> distribution.
>
> HTH,

              "My suspicion is that the universe is not only queerer
               than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose." --
               Physiologist and Geneticist J.B.S. Haldane 1860-1936

                     (Maybe not, Dr. Haldane. We have an
                      amazing imagination)

                     Web Page:<www.speckledwithstars.net/>